I love eggplant, however they tend to soak up lots of oil during cooking. My trick is ‘steaming’ while pan-frying, which really reduces the amount of cooking oil used and still tastes delicious!
Ingredients: 4-6 servings
- 2 Japanese eggplants (about 1 lb.) also known as Chinese eggplant
- 2 tbsp. Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp. Mirin
- 1 ½ tsps. grated fresh ginger
- oil for frying
- Combine all the ingredients for Marinade Sauce in a medium shallow dish until sugar dissolves. Set aside.
- Slice eggplants diagonally to about 8mm thickness.
- Heat one tablespoon oil in a large frying pan. Add some of the sliced eggplant to the pan, being careful that each slice is flat in the pan and none overlap or stack. Fry for 2-3 min. and turn. Scatter 1-2 tablespoons of water over the eggplants and cover and cook until browned and softened.
- When each batch of eggplant is done, remove to a separate dish containing the marinade. Repeat with remaining eggplant until finished.
- Serve at room temperature.