This is a classic Japanese side dish. For variety, try green beans or other vegetable in place of spinach.
- One bunch of spinach washed
- a pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons ground toasted sesame seeds
- 1 ½ tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- ¾ – 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon dashi stock
- In a large pot, bring enough water to a boil to cover the spinach.
- Add a pinch of salt to the boiling water and add the spinach. Boil for only 3-4 minutes until still crunchy. Remove the spinach, chill them into very cold water, drain and set aside.
- In a small bowl, put sesame seeds, soy sauce, sugar and dashi stock and mix well.
- Cut the spinach about 1 inche long and mix with the sesame mixture just before serving.
- Serve immediately.
If you don’t have dashi stock on hand, you can eliminate it or simply just use a little water instead.
Use ground walnuts instead of sesame seeds.