The color of white turnips and pink ginger are so pretty to look at and the salad tastes fresh and delicious!
Turnip & ginger Sunomono Salad 4-6 serving
- 3-4 fresh white turnips (about 1 lb)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2-3tbsp of chopped sushi ginger
- 5 tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp sugar
- Cut the turnips into half length wise or quarter and slice thinly (about 2mm).
- Put the turnips slices into a bowl, add salt and coat evenly. Let stand about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile mix the vinegar and sugar together in a bowl. Mix well. Squeeze and discard excess liquid from the mixture of turnips before adding it to the vinegar mixture.
- Add the sushi ginger to turnip and serve immediately.
Thank you for a fantastic time this weekend at Richmond World Festival. I had an amazing time and my first cooking demo was a huge success! Thank you for inviting me and the great opportunity.
This is a classic Japanese side dish. For variety, try green beans or other vegetable in place of spinach.
- One bunch of spinach washed
- a pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons ground toasted sesame seeds
- 1 ½ tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- ¾ – 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon dashi stock
- In a large pot, bring enough water to a boil to cover the spinach.
- Add a pinch of salt to the boiling water and add the spinach. Boil for only 3-4 minutes until still crunchy. Remove the spinach, chill them into very cold water, drain and set aside.
- In a small bowl, put sesame seeds, soy sauce, sugar and dashi stock and mix well.
- Cut the spinach about 1 inche long and mix with the sesame mixture just before serving.
- Serve immediately.
If you don’t have dashi stock on hand, you can eliminate it or simply just use a little water instead.
Use ground walnuts instead of sesame seeds.