Rakkyo is one of the popular pickles in Japan and is a must have pickles when you eat Japanese style curry. When I saw fresh rakkyo at near by Japanese grocery store last week, I was so excited! I emailed my mom to ask her secret rakkyo recipe. It takes time to rinse and peel, but it totally worth it!
1 kg Rakkyo
2 tbsp Sea salt
2 cups of rice vinegar (500 ml)
1 1/4 cup sugar (200gm)
Takanotsume dried chillies 2 or 3 (optional)
A wide-rimmed preserving sterilized jars (2 x 1l jar)
1)Place the rice vinegar, sugar and salt in a small saucepan and heat. When the sugar has dissolved, remove from the heat and set aside.
2) Rinse the rakkyo in water and gently peel thin outer skin.
3) Put the rakkyo and chilies(if you are using) into two sterilized jars and pour the vinegar mixture over the rakkyo.
4) Leave the jars on the counter to cool and place the lids on after they cool.
5) Keep the jars in the refrigerator.
- Stir the rakkyo every day for first 5 days.
- The pickles will be ready to eat in 2-3 months and will keep for about up to one year.