Kuromame（Black Beans) is traditionally eaten as part of Osechi Ryori （Special new years meal) and represents a wish for good health and hard work. These Black Beans are much larger and plump than the ones we eat here. So delicious!
What you need;
- 600g of dried Black Beans, Kuromame
- 9.5 cups of water (about 2,400ml)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking soda
- 450 g of Sugar
- 100ml of soy sauce
- Rinse the bean and dry them and set aside.
- In a large pot, bring the water to a boil.
- Add, baking soda, sugar and soy sauce to the pot and mix and wait till the sugar resolves.
- Add the beans and leave it over night with a lid on.
- Turn the heat and bring to the boil.
- Add one cup of water.
- When it comes to the boil, add an another cup of water.
- Simmer the beans for 5-6 hours until the beans are tender.
- Let them cool and serve.
Keep the beans with the cooking liquid in the refrigerator.