This is a very light, healthy and easy dish for weekday supper or entertaining.
What you need; 4 servings
- 2 whole fillets maclerel about 300g
- ¼ small onion about 30g
- 2 carrot about 125g
- ¼ green, yellow or red pepper about 125g
- ½ cup (125ml) dashi stock
- 4 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons mirin
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Salt the fish fillets lightly and leave for 15 min.
- Meanwhile prepare the vegetables: Slice onion and soak into a bowl of water about 10-15 minutes. Juliann carrots and pepper and drain onion and set aside.
- In a small pot, add dashi stock, rice vinegar, soy sauce, mirin and sugar and heat until sugar dissolved.
- Pat dry the fish and slice diagnor about 2.5cm.
- Heat a large non-stick flying pan and add ½ tablespoon oil and add sliced fish. Cook till golden brown and cook through. Careful not to break the fish.
- Add fish to a shallow serving bowl or plate and add all the vegetable. Heat the dashi mixture till boiling hot and pour it over on fish and vegetable.
- Cool slightly and refrigerate for 2-3 hours or overnight.
Try other fish such as salmon instead.
Use gluten free soy sauce for a gluten free version.