The green and red colours from the cucumber and radish are very pretty. Serve individual portions for entertaining. The green and red make this a great dish for the Christmas season!
What you need;
- 1/2 English Cucumber or 4 Japanese or Persian cucumbers about ½ lb (225g)
- 1 bunch red radishes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5-6 tablespoons of rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons dashi or water
- Cut the English cucumber into half length wise and slice thinly about 2mm. If you are using narrower Japanese or Persian cucumbers, omit cutting in half and simply slice thinly.
- Slice red radishes to same thickness as the cucumbers.
- Put cucumbers and radishes into a bowl, add salt and coat evenly. Let stand 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile mix the rice vinegar, sugar and dashi or water together in a bowl. Mix well.
- Squeeze and discard excess liquid from the mixture of cucumber and radish, before adding it to the vinegar mixture. Serve immediately.
You can prepare the vinegar mixture and cucumber radish mixture ahead and mix them together just before serving.
Adjust the amount of rice vinegar and sugar for your liking.