This is a classic Japanese side dish. For variety, try spinach or other vegetable in place of green beans.
What you need;
- 250g ( about ½ lbs) Green beans
- a pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons ground toasted sesame seeds
- 1 ½ tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- ¾ – 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon dashi stock
- In a large pot, bring enough water to a boil to cover the green beans.
- Pinch or slice off the tips of the green beans and discard. Add a pinch of salt to the boiling water and add the green beans. Boil for only 3-4 minutes until still crunchy. Remove the green beans, chill them into very cold water, drain and set aside.
- In a small bowl, put sesame seeds, soy sauce, sugar and dashi stock and mix well.
- Cut the green beans about 2 inches long and mix with the sesame mixture just before serving.
- Serve immediately.
If you don’t have dashi stock on hand, you can eliminate it or simply just use a little water instead.
Use ground walnuts instead of sesame seeds.