When spring time comes and fresh asparagus are out in the market, I always make this dish. An easy, delicious and refreshing recipe.
What you need;
- ½ lbs (225g) Green Asparagus
- a pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoon white, awase or koji miso
- 1/2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
1. In a large pot, bring enough water to the boil to cover the asparagus.
2. Snip off the ends of the asparagus. Add a pinch of salt to the boiling water. Blanch briefly so they are still crunchy, about 2 to 3 minutes in the boiling water.
3. Immediately cool the asparagus in chilled water so they do not soften.
4. In a small bowl, mix the miso, vinegar and sugar. Mix well.
5. Slice the asparagus into about 2 inch long pieces, add them to the miso mixture in a serving bowl, and mix briefly to coat just before serving.
6. Serve immediately.
Tips: For variety, use green beans or other vegetables instead of asparagus.
Add Japanese style mustard for another flavour.
Option: For elegant entertaining, divide the asparagus into 4 decorative serving plates and put a little miso mixture on top of the asparagus.